Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Markets of South Mumbai

I will attempt to play catch up here....as if it is at all possible to describe the last week or so....
The market tour blew me away. We first went to the Crawford Market, one known for it's food. Rosemarie, the lovely woman I met during the Village tour told me to find the Spice King, so that was my first stop. This was incredible, he had his presentation all set for his eager audience, pouring out each brilliantly colored spice into little stainless steel bowls for us to smell and taste. I purchased way too much but I told myself, I can justify it.....birds of all sizes and colors at this market as well as any fruit or vegetable you can imagine.

Then off to Mangaldas, the textile market. This was my wonderland. After walking a few steps inside this market, I felt transfixed. Color does something to me, it is hard to describe, when surrounded with the vibrancy of such richness, it is like it fills my heart with the same. I feel giddy and drunk with it and want to be wrapped up in the brilliance of it all. The joyful irony here is that with sari, I literally can be....

So I just stood there beaming like a crazy woman and couldn't even attempt to narrow it down to make a purchase, not this time....way too overstimulated. So I just staggered thru, trying to breath it all in and etch this dazzling vision into my memory.

We breezed thru Zaveri, the jewelry market, this was a high end jewelry market of gold and diamonds, out of range....

It is the wedding season here in Mumbai so the Bhuleghwar Pool, flower market, was bustling with activity. Here is where they are making garland and complete walls, curtains and drapes of pure flowers and flower petals. Here you can breath deep and forget you are in Mumbai. The colors and detail of this work blew me away, some of them were working one single rose petal at a time.

We visited a few temples learning the ritual offerings and passed by many vendors all along the way. I stopped to replenish my bindi collection and tried to keep up and take in all the surroundings at the same time. The streets were packed with throngs of people walking, pushing carts, carrying their parcels upon their heads.....I cannot wait to visit south Mumbai again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment