Friday, July 2, 2010

Coming back around to pie

Several years ago I purchased a pie kitchen. For two years, I "seasonally" made pies. 27 different flavors of pie to be had at all times by the slice or whole pie. I never understood the saying, "easy as pie" and really felt it was a misdirected statement. I dreaded making pie, it didn't seem easy. Cake seemed easy, not pie. Perhaps it was the many types and flavors, perhaps the timing of this whole thing. This pie adventure wasn't truly of my own creation, it was one of those opportunities that came my way and I thought, I can do that......

The shortened version is, I stopped the pie gig, took my equipment and installed it at home. I stopped making pies as best I could. I had pie requests that I felt I forced myself to fulfill. I had a deep case of pie burn~out. So now, about seven years later, as I am rolling out the pie crust, because after all, pie burn out or not, what baker doesn't make pie?!!....I realize that am enjoying rolling out the crust and preparing the fruit I picked myself. The ritual of it all seems soothingly familiar. Instead of the dread, I feel the same joy as I do with everything else I bake. The words of the folks who enjoy my pie come to mind, bring a smile and as I relish in the texture of the crust I roll out, I realize that I have come around to pie. I still will not use the phrase, "easy as pie", but I now know that I enjoy making it again and will make time for new pie inventions and creations.....

No comments:

Post a Comment