Saturday, April 24, 2010

Excitement Abound

Another whirlwind week.....

Last weekend I had the clay stompin' party to put up the dense layer of the clay oven. It went wonderfully. So many folks showed up and the air was filled with laughter as we took turns stomping clay barefoot as it drizzled and snowed around us. Yes, it was the coldest day of the last month but it made it all the more adventurous!! The oven is gorgeous.

Monday, I attempted the insulation layer but stopped after one ring of bottles. I felt like it needed a little time and I needed more materials. So today after the Orono Farmer's Market, one week from the building of the dome, I scooped out the sand that was the mold for the dome and what held it up. I took out the wooden form that we used to support the brick arch doorway and the arch crumbled and came apart in a couple places. No worry, breathe, that can easily be repaired I coached myself....the sand was still damp and packed tightly. As I scooped, I kept thinking "what if it collapses??" Kendra (clay oven builder and wood fired bread baker extraordinaire) has been one of many wonderful encouraging folks and she told me today at market, if it collapses, you will just build it again. Just the thought of it collapsing made my chest tighten and heart skip a beat. Better to find out now than spend more time and resources on the insulation layer. Okay. I can do this. So it started slowly and tentatively which was quickly replaced by excitement as I caught a glimpse of a piece of the interior clay wall as some sand fell away.....and it stayed intact!!!! Then the rest went swiftly and smoothly. Kendra also gave me a tip today at market of taking a tin can, punching holes in the sides along the bottom and lighting a small fire inside to be able to easily move it around. This worked wonderfully and I will do this each day until ready for a larger fire. So now I am VERY much looking forward to baking in this amazing clay oven! It has been so long in the making, I am beside myself with excitement to think of baking in it soon....

The week was also filled with preparing for the demolition of the attached building to the house and rebuilding it. A 20 x 36 foot structure. Permits, contractors, deposits, ready, set, GO!! Another dream ready to become reality. What an exciting year. So many ideas for the season to soon share.....

No comments:

Post a Comment