Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cold Climate Grape and Wine Convention

I had the great fortune to visit Jen, Maks and Vladimir and also attend the cold climate grape and wine convention.

Maks, Jen and Vladimir were loads of fun as always, I feel so fortunate when we can all get together. I miss Maks’ laughter already.....

The cold climate grape and wine convention was incredible. I am so impressed with the folks that organized this spectacular event which about five hundred people attended and it ran smooth as silk. The coordinators were few yet dynamic and knew how orchestrate this event with subtlety. I have been attending loads of meetings, conferences and conventions this winter and could really appreciate what they accomplished. The detail that we were able to cover in our workshops was priceless, identifying wine flaws with eight glasses of wine in front of each of us, seven of which having flaws for us to determine by smell. Wine tasting and blending, each group of four having six bottles of wine for us to identify and blend, all local wines. Speakers from all over the country. I was on the enology track, other tracks were viticulture and marketing. Meals were included, wine strolls, socials and breaks to network with other growers and wineries. Speakers, vendors and us attendees all had the chance to mingle together at each break and mealtime. It was fabulous. The convention vendors were amazing and I feel like I now have a handle on what equipment I am ready to invest in. From the crushing, fermentors and oak....right down to the yeast, bottles and corks. I have ordered loads more vines to plant soon but want to get my hands on some grapes! What I would do for a small batch to play with right now......
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the 21st century and the global economy,just google chilean wine grapes and you will find sources for wine grapes to be delivered in may!not exactly localvoring but good to know if you get a real wine making jones.love the picture of you surrounded by wine barrels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm~tempting....
    Thank you Chuck!! This photo was from Sweetgrass Winery in Appleton....

    ReplyDelete